Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Sophie's World Reflection #5


Although I could spend time talking about the philosophical ideas within this section of the novel, I’ll hold off on that until the personal application post. Right now, I’m still trying to wrap my head around the events taking place outside of each philosophy lesson. The sudden inclusion of fairy tales has thrown me off even more than before. I see that a lot of it is simply showing the power that Hilde’s father has over Alberto and Sophie, but I’m not a fan of that. It only makes it harder for me to distinguish who is real and what is actually happening. I know it’s the point of the story to keep readers guessing, but I wish we just knew already! I’m intrigued to hear more about this plan of Hilde’s, how she is going to interfere in her father’s plans on behalf of Sophie and Alberto. I’m inclined to believe that somehow, in some way, Sophie and Alberto have to be real. There is no way that Hilde could lend them a hand somehow, unless they were.
I think that most of the action is going to take place at Sophie’s party coming up, and I’m trying to prepare myself for that. I sense the urgency in the book becoming more and more prominent, as Alberto continues to speed through lessons at high speeds just to get things through. It is hard to keep up with this way, sometimes without a lot of plot to break up each lesson, but I’m still managing. At this point, I really just need to know what’s real and what’s not, it’s driving me crazy!

1 comment:

  1. Sophie's party will be a trip, totally meta / post-modern.

    ReplyDelete